Should men wear a diamond wedding ring?
We regularly discuss men’s diamond rings or men’s diamond wedding rings.
Arguments arise over whether guys should wear diamond rings or not. Also, women sometimes ask the question: “Do men wear engagement rings?”
Men’s diamond wedding rings make a popular choice for the groom.
However, plain wedding rings continue to outsell wedding rings.
Diamonds relate to the endurance of eternal love but reflect hardness and strength—a perfect symbol for men’s jewellery.
Do men wear engagement rings?
Some men wear engagement rings. Although less popular than men’s wedding rings, we have observed more men wearing engagement rings. Most men wear a ring—styles vary from Signet rings and wedding rings to diamond-encrusted examples.
Traditionally engagement rings are worn by women, but this tradition slowly changes with a new age of how jewellery is worn.
Men’s Platinum engagement ring set with a 1-carat Emerald-cut diamond
Celebrity male engagement rings
Some celebrity couples demonstrate that men and women both wear engagement rings at the same time.
The singer Ed Sheeran wears an engagement ring. Well known for breaking down stereotypes, Sheeran made the following comment about his ring.
“I never saw why men didn’t wear engagement rings. It’s the same commitment either way.”
Either way, you wear a ring to show your love, from engagement through to marriage.
Another singer, Michael Bublé told fans that men’s engagement rings are a tradition in Luisana Lopilato’s home country of Argentina. Moreover, she made his ring to wear before marriage.
Some brides put a pre-vow display of commitment on their grooms if they are separated during their engagement. Rings or other jewellery act as a keepsake whilst
While revising this post, a male client visited our showroom and asked me to transform his existing ring with an elaborate arrangement of diamonds.
Expanding choice and personalisation ensures a tailored item of jewellery—perfect for the occasion.
Some high profile jewellers including DeBeers make occasional engagement rings for men as shown in the video below.
Few jewellers craft engagement rings for men. As part of our work, we provide a full CAD design service for bespoke jewellery.
Men’s engagement rings and the leap year
A lady recently visited our showroom looking for an engagement ring for her partner. Her plan involved proposing on February 29th of a leap year. She chose a Titanium wedding ring from our collection and succeeded with her proposal of marriage.
Men are more likely to wear a classic wedding ring style as opposed to an elegant, slim, diamond set ring most often seen worn by women.
What makes a male engagement ring?
Male engagement rings typically feature heavier designs compared to female engagement rings. Some male engagement rings stand as joint engagement rings and wedding rings. Other styles feature unique engraved effects such as their partner’s fingerprint.
Bespoke Diamond Wedding Rings for Men
In addition to the diamond wedding ring designs styled for men (see our collection image below) we create boldly striking diamond wedding rings as part of our bespoke design service. Typical commissions feature heavyweight Platinum or Palladium bands, set with diamonds in bold, weighty masculine styles.
110mm Palladium wedding band, a bespoke commission set with 3.5mm brilliant cut diamonds.
Men’s wedding ring designs rarely include diamonds. For this reason, we put together a collection of amazing men’s diamond wedding rings to complement our regular plain wedding rings.
The most apparent characteristic of the men’s wedding ring styles is a broader ring width. Chunkier styles give additional depth for setting diamonds. Much larger diamonds require a raise bezel or claw.
Many of the following designs appear in our men’s wedding ring section, described below.
Men’s diamond rings for everyday wear
For those guys considering a diamond ring for everyday wear, don’t be put off by wedding ring styles. Most of our diamond wedding rings for men serve equally well on alternative fingers to the wedding ring finger. Many men wear plain bands, diamond rings, or they wear a signet ring which can be engraved or set with a diamond.
Men’s Diamond Wedding Rings
1. A single diamond within a tension style setting. Here we see a single diamond set within a clear gap in 5 or 6mm wedding band. Typically this style of a ring would possess a small supporting under-bezel to bridge the design, providing security for the setting, but giving the appearance of the tension style setting.
2. Flush set Princess cuts. A repeating pattern of Princess cuts flush-set with precision and spaced across a flat court profile band. The square shape of the Princess cut diamond is a popular choice for men in one of many arrangements.
3. Flush set Baguette cut diamonds. Baguette-cut diamonds flush set across the ring provide an altogether different look for a man’s wedding ring. Wide rings allow longer gemstone shapes for setting across the ring.
4. Princess cuts flush set with a machined edge. Again we see Princess cut diamonds flush set, but with the additional detail of machined edges.
Flush-set with the Princess cut diamonds at a slightly raised height to the machined polished edges. For further contrast, the central section is satin finished.
5. Lateral channel setting. This style of sets diamonds across the band, graduating in size and held within a channel setting. The ring offers a sleek, low profile setting for gemstones in a full ring style.
6. Round diamonds flush set into a channel. Depth is an important consideration here since the wedding ring needs to be substantial enough to accommodate the thickness of the stone. Chunky profiles are more suitable, but the satin and polished finish contrast beautifully while the round diamond sits beautifully within a perfect man’s wedding band design.
7. Flush and grain set. A square effect comes from round diamonds grain set within a squared flush setting.
8. Geometric lines with flush set diamond. Bold geometric lines can be added to a men’s wedding ring design, incorporating a flush set diamond.
9. A trio of baguette-cut diamonds, flush set. Arranged in a row of three, here we see baguette-cut gemstones arranged end to end, flush set within the ring. Patterns of either three or four diamonds make a popular choice, offered in a range of different arrangements set according to personal preferences.
10. Lateral channel and grain set. We provide most ring widths accented with diamonds. Here we have a channel, holding small round brilliant cut diamonds within grain settings across the width of the item.
11. Raised details with flush set diamond. By machining away sections of the ring, and polishing the remaining area, lifted parts of metal feature in combination with any shape of diamond flush set within the ring design.
12. Quadrant pattern. The quadrant pattern is an arrangement of four diamonds. Here four round diamonds are held within squared settings, in a group of four, which provides a larger square of gemstones visible within a wider men’s style of a wedding band.
13. Mixed diamond shapes. Assorted diamond shapes can be incorporated to build variation and interest within a wedding band, further enhanced and contrasted by the use of an exterior satin finish.
14. Repeating cross-ways lateral channels with round diamonds. The final style repeats a pattern of cross-ways oriented channels set with small round brilliant cut diamonds.