What are Meleé Diamonds?
The term Melee comes from the French word Mêlé for mixed, referring to a group of small Diamonds weighing between 0.07 and 0.15cts.
Brackets of Meleé Sizes
Meleé assortments of Diamonds generally tend to be banded into carat weights of Diamonds. Each size bracket is typically set at a slightly different cost to the size range below. Terms such as small meleé are often used to differentiate between the variations in sizes the Diamonds are grouped into.
A melee cocktail can complicate things further when referring to parcels of goods, which exhibit a mixture of colour. A range of material can be present requiring sorting.
Smaller Goods - Fully cut diamonds 1.7mm and below are referred to as "stars" at sizes upwards from 0.75mm diameter.
Melee - Melee refers to a group of small Diamonds that range in size from 0.07 to 0.15ct. 2.6mm - 3.5mm diameter.
Coarse Melee - Sizes from 0.12 and 0.15ct. (approx. 3.2mm to 3.5mm in diameter) are often termed coarse melee.
Separating Meleé Diamonds into Sizes
Small Diamonds are typically purchased in parcels of mixed sizes. Barrel sieves with detachable metal plates are used in progression, starting with a numbered plate which will only allow through certain sizes. Sieves tend to run from 000 / 00 / 0 / 1 / 1.5 / 2 / 2.5 / 2 and onwards with larger meleé resting on the 15 plate. Diamond merchants fluently know which sieves to use to separate out certain sizes of Round Brilliant cut Diamonds. For example 2mm Diamonds will pass through a 7.5 with many other smaller sizes. When this sieved content is shaken through the next 7 plate, the 2mm Round Brilliant Diamonds will rest without passing through. By repeating this process, a parcel of Diamonds can be sorted into a full range of sizes.
Sieve Sizes for Meleé Diamonds
The following information provides a guide to which sieve plates (within a set of Diamond sieves) will separate out a certain Diamond size. Half sieve sizes for smaller goods ensure more consistent sizes. e.g. 5 - 4.5 plate to obtain 1.5mm rounds.
- 15 - 14 Plate - 3.5mm Round Brilliant cut Diamonds - approx. 0.15cts each
- 14 - 13 Plate - 3.25mm Round Brilliant cut Diamonds - approx. 0.13cts each
- 13 - 12 Plate - 3.0mm Round Brilliant cut Diamonds - approx. 0.10cts each
- 12 - 11 Plate - 2.8mm Round Brilliant cut Diamonds - approx. 0.09cts each
- 11 - 10 Plate - 2.6mm Round Brilliant cut Diamonds - approx. 0.07cts each
- 10 - 9.5 Plate - 2.5mm Round Brilliant cut Diamonds - approx. 0.06cts each
- 9.5 - 9 Plate - 2.3mm Round Brilliant cut Diamonds - approx. 0.05cts each
- 9 - 8.5 Plate - 2.25mm Round Brilliant cut Diamonds - approx. 0.045cts each
- 8.5 - 8 Plate - 2.2mm Round Brilliant cut Diamonds - approx. 0.04cts each
- 8 - 7.5 Plate - 2.1mm Round Brilliant cut Diamonds - approx. 0.035cts each
- 7.5 - 7 Plate - 2.0mm Round Brilliant cut Diamonds - approx. 0.03cts each
- 6 - 5.5 Plate - 1.7mm Round Brilliant cut Diamonds - approx. 0.02cts each
- 5 - 4 Plate - 1.5mm Round Brilliant cut Diamonds - approx. 0.015cts each
- 4 - 3.5 Plate - 1.4mm Round Brilliant cut Diamonds - approx. 0.0125cts each
- 3.5 - 3 Plate - 1.35mm each (Strong 1pts)
- 3 - 2.5 Plate - 1.3mm each (Full 1pts)
- 2.5 - 2 Plate - 1.25mm each (1pts)
- 2 - 1.5 Plate - 1.2mm each (Weak 1pts)
- 1.5 - 1 Plate - 1.15mm each (Strong 3/4 Points)
- 1 - 0 Plate - 1.1mm each (3/4 Points)(Strong 3/4 Points)
- 0 - 00 Plate - 1.05mm 0.006cts each (Strong Halves)
- 00 - 000 Plate - 1mm 0.005cts each (Halves)